21 Feb How do thieves steal credit cards?
Have you ever been a victim of credit card fraud? If this has happened to you, you must know all the inconvenience that this may cause and you have probably said to yourself that you will not get caught again.
Here is some information that will help you not make the same mistake twice. First, here are ways that thieves steal your credit card :
- They go through your garbage or mailbox to find credit card statements or other banking information.
- They swipe your credit card through a device that copies the information stored on the magnetic stripe of your card.
- They hack into the computers of companies and steal credit card information.
- They install small devices on payment terminals that record your credit card information.
- They send you an email that looks like it comes from a real business asking for credit card information. That is called phishing.
- They ask you to use your credit card on an illegitimate website to make a “purchase”.
IMPORTANT : When banking or shopping online, look for Websites with addresses starting with “https” or ones that have a padlock image on the address bar. These are signs that your information will be secure.
Jackie Beaudoin, Leclerc Insurance and Financial Services
Source : Government of Canada