15 Nov Getting your house ready for winter
The bitter cold and snow is just around the corner and it is important to ensure your peace of mind this winter by making sure that certain chores in and around the house get done.
Here are our top tips:
INSIDE THE HOUSE
- Test your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Ensure your furnace, wood stove and any other heating sources are in good working condition.
- Test plumbing shut-off valves.
Stop your heat from escaping outside:
- Caulk windows and doors that are not airtight.
- Install weather stripping to prevent leaks and cold air infiltration.
- Inspect your attic for frost accumulation.
If you go on vacation:
- Leave the heat on.
- Have someone you trust check on your home while you are away.
- Run water through all plumbing fixtures regularly.
OUTSIDE THE HOUSE
- Trim branches that are close to your house or electrical wires.
- Check your eavestroughs and roof for potential ice dams or icicles.
- Keep snow away from gas meters, gas appliance vents, exhaust vents and basement windows.