05 Oct Program to improve the energy efficiency of your home
If you are ready to invest in your home to improve its energy efficiency, the Rénoclimat program is for you.
You could be eligible for financial assistance under the Rénoclimat program if you are:
- carrying out insulation work
- carrying out work affecting your home’s air tightness
- replacing doors and windows
- installing or replacing mechanical systems (ventilation system, water heater, heat pump, geothermal heating system)
How does it work
As soon as you know that you are eligible, schedule an appointment for the energy evaluation of your home by calling 1 866 266-0008.
Note that this year due to the situation with the Covid, the first visit is free, and this, until December 31, 2020.
First visit of the energy efficiency advisor
The energy efficiency advisor, once there:
- Will measure the building and take various photos to document the file.
- In the basement: they will check the insulation of the foundation walls, the rim joist. they will also look at the heating and other ventilation systems.
- In the attic: they will check the insulation (condensation, mold) and the operation of any ventilation system.
- Afterwards a blower door test will be performed as part of the energy evaluation of your home. It is a performance test that uses a device to verify the air tightness of your house. It measures the amount of outdoor air that enters your home. During this test, the advisor goes through your home to locate possible air leaks. It is recommended that you follow the advisor and take notes. You will learn how to increase your comfort level and reduce your energy consumption by sealing the many unwanted air leaks (outlets, for example, windows, window frames and moldings, attic hatch, appliances such as a range hood) easily and very affordably. Examples are also presented in a short video capsule on the Transition énergétique Québec Website.
Within 15 days, you will receive the EnerGuide rating for your home and the evaluation report.
Once received, you can proceed with your work based on the recommendations.
Carry out the energy renovations yourself or hire someone to carry them out for you. Use the recommendations listed in the evaluation report to guide you through the work. In all cases, it will be important to keep the invoices and to take pictures of the work, in order to have the proof in hand during the visit after the work.
Post-work energy evaluation appointment
Contact your advisor by calling at 1 866 266-0008 to obtain the post-work energy evaluation of your home.
The first post-work energy evaluation is provided free of charge but may there may be a delay of up to 20 working days.
Visit of the energy efficiency advisor once the work is done
The Rénoclimat advisor will come to your home to assess the improvements and calculate its new EnerGuide rating.
The results will be known within 15 days of the visit.
If you are eligible, and if you have provided your social insurance number (SIN) or Québec enterprise number (QEN) in a secure way, your cheque for Rénoclimat financial assistance will be mailed to you 10 to 12 weeks after the post-work evaluation of your home.
Additional financial assistance
An additional $1,000 of financial assistance will be granted to participants who have received or requested their post-work evaluation by December 31, 2020.
To obtain this additional assistance, the project must qualify for at least $350 of financial assistance due to the energy improvements made, other than installing a heat pump.